Sunday, November 28, 2010

Moments of existential angst

So here's a question for you handful of readers:

Is this blog of any value?

I'm beginning to have my doubts. I've had innumerable Republican operatives siccing their flying monkeys on me; one hired a private detective to scour my personal life.

They've tried to crack my Facebook page, for example,  in remarkably, clumsily stupid ways, but in efforts not lacking for dedication.

On the one hand, it suggests I must have been hitting some nerves. On the other hand, does what appears here impact the public dialogue in any way whatever? None of the big swinging right-wing blogs seem to have the courage to answer.

It astonishes me how much crap has been slung at my windshield the last couple of years by people who can quite accurately say they get hundreds of times my readership daily.

Why do they get so worked up over such a small-fry operation? As Inga the Assistant says in Young Frankenstein, "It is a puzzlement."

One by one, center-left bloggers in SC have abandoned their perches, except for one who's parlayed his post into gigs on House Blend and The Huffington Post. If nothing else it says I'm a crappy self-promoter.Why hang on? God knows there's enough- well, actually, there aren't- blogs covering SC from the center-left. When all the polls say SC voters will climb mountains, peer at Russia and show up at Wal-Mart at 2 am to support Sarah Palin, should the debate in this state just be called over?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say! Your blog seems to me to be some factual reporting along with stating the most obvious common sense opinions. I guess it comes down to the old point of "if you don't agree with me then you hate God and America and must be punished."

    Sigh.

    Jay in N.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waldo,

    Your blog is one of the very few in this state that I can reliably read and know full well that the opinions stated herein aren't being funded with an ulterior motive. They're yours and yours alone. I don't agree with all your views, nor, would I suspect, would you expect that I nor anyone else would do so. That's what healthy debate is all about.

    The value of your blog is that you call it like you see it, you possess a healthy dose of critical thinking skills and you don't mind ruffling a few feathers.

    You may not think you're having much of an impact, but I would disagree. Realistically, South Carolina is a state with few longstanding politically-oriented blogs on either side of the spectrum that aren't getting payola from someone. True, there may not be any blogs covering SC from the center-left, but I don't know of a blog covering SC from the center-right, either, at least one that's not on someone's payroll.

    As such, you offer a rare glimpse into what an actual educated voter who is cognizant of both state and national trends are thinking, and what some of the hot button issues are, rather than regurgitating the party line.

    And, for a few of us out there, your blog makes us sit back and reassess the way we see the world. Your blog is a long-term dialogue through words that helps me to realize that different people can come from many different backgrounds but still want many of the same goals, such as improved opportunities for the citizens of our state.

    I hope you'll stick with it, Waldo. We'd be poorer without you.

    ReplyDelete