Sunday, August 3, 2008

We'll be happy to contribute to bail, if it comes to that-

For Waldo's first birthday, Walk This Way has indulged his childhood fondness for the Lowcountry/Sandhills institution of the joggling board:

image

image

But Waldo frets that WTW may be over-indulging his hobbyhorse:

Ever since waldolydecker let me know how much he enjoyed the joggling board photos, I feel that I must take a picture of every one I find. I'll soon be able to do a photo google map of lowcountry joggling board locations. One of these days a home owner is going to report me as a stalker when he/she catches me trying to photograph their yard. I am sure the nice officer will understand.
In The Seattle Times magazine each week, historian Paul Dorpat contrasts then and now photos of Seattle scenes, using archival photos and current shots from the same locations. One day- a happy thought- historians of the future will return to the electronic archive of Charleston scenes WTW has created, complete with her narratives, stories and tall tales. I'm glad- as is Waldo, to play a bit part in the preservation of joggling boards.

(And thanks very much, WTW, for this latest of your many kindnesses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment