Friday, September 24, 2010

Conundrums

Why is it that we talk about freedom and individual rights but act to restrict freedom and individual rights? We say we want government to leave us alone, but we ask for laws to prevent women from control of their bodies.
We say we want government to leave us alone but we ask for laws to punish homosexuals because we think they're immoral. We say we want to protect freedom of speech and the right to protest but we ask for an amendment to the Constitution to prevent burning the flag. We say we want lower taxes but we complain about streets not being plowed. We say we want better education but we demonstrate and ask for lower taxes and vouchers to pay for private schooling for our children.
So how far have we come in the past 60 years to loving thy neighbor as thyself? Apparently not very far.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, Waldo, and you raise an excellent question. I would say that not all of the above are mutually exclusive.

    I agree completely with you on the paradox posed by such views as wanting the government to let us alone but then pushing for laws to punish gays, prevent the burning of the flag, and demanding more services but wanting lower taxes. I disagree on abortion and vouchers.

    Personally, I generally oppose abortion because I believe that the practice takes the life of an innocent. I realize it's a complex issue and different people have different standards regarding the practice (i.e. it's okay when it comes to rape or incest), but from my viewpoint, opposing abortion is no different than opposing child abuse. The latter is something we expect of government so, to me, a law against abortion in most cases makes sense.

    On education I would say that while I don't pretend to know the motives of everyone who favors vouchers, I myself believe vouchers would benefit students in some of our state's worst school districts. If I'm a single mother of three in Hampton County, for example, I really have very few educational opportunities as far as where my kids can go to school. If I'm stuck in a district with bad schools, there isn't much I can do. A voucher system would at least offer that mother an option for educating her kids, provided a private school that accepted vouchers was available.

    I'm lucky in that my kids go to good schools in a good district; I'd like to see every parent in this state be able to say the same. I'm not sure that's possible without some sort of radical rethinking of how we approach education. Perhaps vouchers aren't the answer, but neither is sitting around and continuing the status quo. It would be selfish of me to only be concerned with making sure my kids were getting a good education. I want better education for all students in this state, which is why I believe vouchers and other ideas need to be at least considered more closely.

    You may disagree, but I believe our ultimate goal is the same. We may disagree on some of the tactics, but that doesn't mean we're not on the same page - seeking to make the state a better place.

    Just my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete