Sunday, May 15, 2016

Voters, thrown under the Priebus


Phoning in to Fox News Sunday from the dark place he’s got his head stuck, Republican National Committee chair Reince Priebus revealed today that he worries endlessly:


Well, you know, a lot of things bother me, Chris...And, yes, everything bothers me, Chris, but I don't know the truth of these things, I don't know other than reading an article whether or not these things are true...Well, I always take things like that seriously.


At the same time, he isn’t sure there is anything to worry about:


I’m the wrong person to be asking that particular question, but, look, we've been --
Now, whether it's going to be a race to the bottom or not, I’m not sure...You know, I’m not sure...But, you know, I’m not sure...whether this issue is going to apply to Donald Trump in a negative way or not I’m not sure of. I’m just saying I don't know if it's even going -- Well, listen, I don't speak for Paul Ryan…


Even if there was something to worry about, people aren’t gonna. Here’s some examples.


On The New York Times report on Donald Trump’s treatment of women:


What I would say is, you know, we've been working on this primary for over a year, Chris, and I’ve got to tell you, I think that all these stories that come out and they come out every couple weeks, people just don't care.


...I don't think Donald Trump in his personal life is something that people are looking at and saying, well, I’m surprised that he has had girlfriends in the past.  That's not what people look at Donald Trump for.  
...And so, I get that this stuff is interesting, but, you know, we've been through this and it has not moved the dial one notch.  


On Donald Trump’s refusal to release his tax returns:


Romney released his taxes very late and he paid a dear price for it by playing games -- footsie with releasing it or not.  You know, it turned out to be something that was not good for us in 2012.  

But, you know, I’m not sure whether Americans actually care or not whether Donald Trump releases his taxes or not.  


But again, not to be repetitive, but, you know, whether this issue is going to apply to Donald Trump in a negative way or not I’m not sure of.  But so far, most things have not because he represents something far different than these particular individual issues.  


On whether Donald Trump’s largely unknown private life is fair game for reporters:


I don't know if it's even going -- I don't think it's going to affect people's view of who and what Donald Trump represents to them, given this election and the electorate...these individual things that we're going to be talking about and reading about, I just don't think they're going -- I don't think they're going to hit him.  I think they're going to bounce off of him.  


Priebus also says today’s Republican Party has gone anarchist voters have gone anarchist:


I think people look at Donald Trump and say -- and Hillary Clinton and say, who is going to bring an earthquake to Washington, D.C.?  


So I think the traditional playbook and analysis really don't apply.  


Well, look, I’m not saying people don't care about it, I’m just saying I think the reason he's where he is at is that he represents something much different than the traditional analysis of individual candidates.  


All I am saying, though, is, is that after a year of different stories, you know, nothing applies.


I think that's what every American is going to be faced with, is that fundamental question as to which person is going to bring a seismic change to Washington, D.C. And the only playbook, Chris, the same old analysis isn't applying in this election.

It's a bigger question, which is who is going to blow up the system?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment