Sunday, August 14, 2016

A glimpse of the 80s- when the world lay at my feet, and I wasn't sure I'd live to see it.



Facebook- to those fond of Greek mythology- displays all the caprice of the ancient gods.

Today- a year and a half after anyone thought to tell me he'd died, nearly three after he actually did, the keepers of a longtime friend's Facebook page decided to grant my request to see it.

It was nice to see a couple of unidentified appearances I make in photos as he is recrafted, in death, by those who run the page. I was, at one point, one of his daughter's godfathers, pictured here at the christening (I'm the guy on the far right, ironically).

I am the first to admit I was a poor godfather. While his parents were married, there was nothing for me to do; after their divorce, mother and daughter moved to California and I fell off the radar and the Christmas card list (the daughter kindly found me and sent me one last year: I am still wrestling with what I can say, do, or be, that will be useful now that she is grown, married, and about to have her own child).

My friend and I parted ways, as has been the case with nearly all my Republican friends for a quarter-century, over LGBT rights. I resented his having tacked rightward, from being a pro-LBGT Republican legislator in the late 80s to the anti-LGBT marriage advocate a decade later, brandishing our friendship to the press as proof it was nothing personal. As Mrs Palin used to say, even she had a friend who was gay.

But he was a remarkable man, and I suppose that is why we all want to say we were present at the creation, and treasure the memory of when we were in the presence of squandered greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment