Friday, August 18, 2017

Donald Trump has no shame. And the moon is round, and pizza is delicious.


At the *resident's press conference, August 15, 2017: 
TRUMP: So making the statement when I made it was excellent. In fact, the young woman who I hear is a fantastic young woman and it was on NBC, her mother wrote me and said through I guess Twitter, social media, the nicest things, and I very much appreciated that. I hear she was a fine, really actually an incredible young woman, but her mother on Twitter, thanked me for what I said. Honestly, if the press were not fake and if it was honest, the press would have said what I said was very nice. – excuse me – unlike you and unlike the media, before I make a statement, I like to know the facts... 
REPORTER: Mr. President, have you spoken to the family of the victim of the car attack? 
TRUMP: No. I will be reaching out, I’ll be reaching out. 
REPORTER: When will you be reaching out? 
TRUMP: I thought that the statement put out, the mother's statement I thought was a beautiful statement. I’ll tell you – it was something that I really appreciated. I thought it was terrific. And really under the kind of stress that she’s under and the heartache she’s under, I thought putting out that statement to me was really something I won't forget. Thank you all very much. Thank you. 
REPORTER: Do you plan to go to Charlottesville, Mr. President?

TRUMP: Did you know I own a house? It’s in Charlottesville, oh boy. It’s in Charlottesville, you’ll see. 
REPORTER: Is that the winery or something? 
TRUMP: It’s a, it’s a, it is the winery. 
REPORTERS YELL INDISTINCTLY. 
TRUMP: I mean, I know a lot about Charlottesville. Charlottesville is a great place that's been very badly hurt over the last couple of days. I own – I own actually one of the largest wineries in the United States. It’s in charlottesville.*
Although it is still true that Southerners are incredibly polite until they are mad enough to kill you, manners are not what they were fifty years ago, when everybody pulled off the road and stopped for oncoming funeral processions.

Even in these times of reduced expectations, it's a sorry reflection on the manners of the *resident of the United States that- with all the information resources at his disposal- couldn't do any better than to try to call her in the middle of a public memorial service for her daughter, run to death by a man in a car who was part of a Nazi group that same *resident said included "very fine people" and added that the daughter's protest against the Nazis was as morally wrong as the Nazis' protest:
The mother of Heather Heyer - the woman killed after a white supremacist allegedly drove in to a crowd of anti-fascist protesters - has said she now refuses to talk to Donald Trump. 
Susan Bro said the President had initially tried to call her during her daughter's funeral, but that she now refused to take any of the "frantic" subsequent calls from his aides after he equated anti-fascist counter protesters with neo-Nazis. 
“I’m not talking to the president now, I’m sorry,” she told ABC News.
_________

*Another lie. Travel & Leisure reports,

 At the end of a press conference concerning violent protests in Charlottesville, Virginia over the weekend, President Donald Trump said that he owns Trump Winery in the city, calling it one of the largest wineries in the state and in the country.

Trump neither owns the Charlottesville winery, nor is it the largest in the state, let alone the country, Mother Jones and others reported.

“Trump Winery is a registered trade name of Eric Trump Wine Manufacturing LLC, which is not owned, managed or affiliated with Donald J. Trump, The Trump Organization or any of their affiliates,” a disclaimer on the company’s websites says.

While Trump purchased the vineyard in 2011, he turned management over to his son, Eric, in 2011.

As to the claim that it was the largest on the east coast or in the U.S., the National Association of American Wineries told Politifact that it is neither the largest when it comes to acreage or when measured by wine production.

Trump winery produces around 36,000 cases of wine per year, while Chateau Morrisette Winery in Floyd, Virginia, produces 60,000 cases per year.

No comments:

Post a Comment