Thursday, July 26, 2018

Alive today, would Brillat-Savarin say, "Tell me where you vote, and I'll tell you who you are?"

Waldo's Journal starts its twelfth year today. I've been studying a New York Times map that drills down to the precinct level for the whole of the US for the 2016 presidential election. 

It's a neat way to find out if I've been in liberal or conservative silos over the years. Sampling the places I've lived the last half century, the answer is, "Yes." Some liberal, some conservative, some competitive, some enclaves of one party surrounded by great swathes of support for the other.


Raeford, NC, 1960-65


Shelby, NC, 1965-1974
In 1974-80 I was in college/graduate school but still voted absentee in Shelby.


Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA, 1980-1990


Kelso/Longview, WA, 1990-1993


Seattle, WA, where I was elected a Republican precinct officer in 1998.


Port Angeles, WA, 2006-2008


Greer/Greenville, SC 2008-13


Charlotte, NC, 2013-18

This district was declared illegally gerrymandered by Republicans who made it a minority-majority district to make the ones around it more white and Republican.


Chester, SC, 2018-

My area elects both Republicans and Democrats. I like having real choices!



No comments:

Post a Comment