Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Aiming high, ending low

First Things considers the poet who heads the Social Security Administration, and one of the works cited is especially pleasing when contemplating some of the breast-beating, holier-than-everyone types one encounters in life:

The sonnet “On Remembering Your Funeral Was Today,” for instance, seems to be composed entirely of darkness. When I first swore to tap-dance on your grave, it begins, and ends this way:
For while my daily rage maybe diminished,
I assure you we are still not finished.
I bet by now you have stolen time
To edit
 The Beginner’s Guide to Hell.
I trust you’ve cheated Charon of a dime
And somehow brought a blush to Jezebel.
I see you basting in satanic slime
Before deep-frying in your cockroach shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment