Thursday, October 3, 2013

I'm special that way

TPM: 
Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-NC) told a local television station that she would not be deferring her pay during the government shutdown, as some other members have done. 
"I need my paycheck. That's the bottom line," Ellmers told WTVD in Raleigh, N.C. "I understand that there may be some other members who are deferring their paychecks, and I think that's admirable. I'm not in that position." 
According to Ellmers's official website, she was a registered nurse for 21 years before being elected to Congress. Her husband Brent, the website says, is a general surgeon.
UPDATE, Friday: 
 Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-NC) has sent a letter to House officials requesting that her congressional salary of $174,000 be withheld amid the shutdown, according to The Charlotte News & Observer 
The request is a reversal for Ellmers, who earlier in the week told WTVD in Raleigh, N.C. that she would not be deferring her paycheck during the shutdown. 
"I need my paycheck. That's the bottom line," Ellmers said. "I understand that there may be some other members who are deferring their paychecks, and I think it's admirable. I'm not in that position." 
Ellmers fielded criticism for the remark and began backtracking on Friday telling CNN that she would consider deferring her next paycheck, according to the News & Observer.  
Update: Read the letter to House officials here

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's always "different" when it affects them personally. :)

    I'm sure that the non-essential folks making 40-50,000 a year (or less) have savings to tide them over during the slim down.

    Old Jill in N.C.

    ReplyDelete