Friday, September 8, 2017

Youthful enthusiasms: easy to mock once care has eroded away




Cotton Boll Conspiracy loves to snark liberal college students. The Age of Orange seems to have liberated a new strain of thinking not so evident the last ten years.

Almost anything, he reports, can reduce the young and the left-wing to tears.

"It’s a cliché as old, it would seem, as humanity: Each generation feels the one that follows isn’t doing its bit to uphold civilization," he opens.

Its corollary is also as old as humanity: that they are always wrong, and their betters- who are older- are right but ignored.

So they get their own back by writing "I toldyasos" ranging in form from Roman epigrams to blog posts.

I wish CBC'd also limn for us what reduces conservative college students to the now-fashionable urge to Milo-ize all campus discussions with good old-fashioned race talk, gay-bashing, and misogyny.

If one accepts their claims at Charlottesville that they are the master race, surely their discourse need not be pitched so low.

Remembering all too well the things I thought were vital in college that weren't, I like to cut kids some slack. They are finding their way intellectually.

I have lots of college classmates who, forty years ago, catechized me for being a conservative shill.

Now the same people chastise me for being a liberal simpleton.

The one fragile thread of consistency in their lives is that they always know better.

It's the perfect #AltFacts pose, as it simply floats, divorced from all fact. It exists only now.

1 comment:

  1. I, like you, have a far different mindset from that which I had in college. That said, I think both of us would agree that there is less willingness on both sides to listen to opposing views. As for why, I don't know. I don't think it's as simple as "Trump." There's some sort of ugly undercurrent that's come to the forefront, and it can't be attributed solely to Trump. That said, many college students will be just fine. The extremes, however, I'm not so sure about.

    ReplyDelete