Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A tough week for legends

When I met Lauren Bacall in 1980 I'd only seen here in television and in the star-studded Murder on the Orient Express.

I stopped in at Blackwell's, the Oxford bookseller, one day looking for something else.  They didn't do booksignings much, but there was a sign and a line and there she was.

Lauren Bacall radiated the star power of a Mexican border radio station.

She caught my eye and boy howdy I was in line with a copy of her book, Me.

I don't remember what we talked about when I reached her in line. I just remember thinking if she asked me to marry her on the spot, I'd have said yes on the spot.

And that's how I met one of the great Hollywood legends, who has died at the age of 89.

1 comment:

  1. A mention of Flannery O'Connor AND you actually met Lauren Bacall! I love this blog. I also appreciate the occasional relief from descriptives of our relentless and rapid slide into third world ignorance, corruption, and malevolent silliness. You go, guy, and enjoy that mint julep!

    Old Jill in N.C.

    ReplyDelete